Dear Marcus, Carl and All,

I would like to make a few remarks about the present situation of time
measurements in SI.

The SI unit of the quantity, time, is the second, which is defined as:

'The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation
corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the
ground state of the caesium 133 atom. This definition refers to a caesium
atom in its ground state at a temperature of 0 K.' (The International System
of Units, BIPM 1998)

As you can see the second is defined, in SI, without reference to any other
older way of measuring time. Although this was not always true, the second
now stands on its own as a unit of time.

Submultiples of the second.
For short periods of time we are quite comfortable with milliseconds,
microseconds, and more frequently lately, with nanoseconds. All of these are
submultiples of the second and they correctly use the SI prefixes for their
formation

Multiples of the second
We have never been comfortable using multiples of the second, except perhaps
in space exploration where countdowns can be done in hundreds of seconds. I
have never seen anyone regularly use the kilosecond or the megasecond.

To put these values into a Babylonian context:

1 kilosecond = 1000 seconds = 1 minute and 40 seconds
1 megasecond = 1 000 000 seconds = 11 days 13 hours 4 minutes and 40 seconds

For my calculations you will note that I have used the following definitions
from 'The International System of Units', BIPM 1998.

Table 6. Non-SI units accepted for use with the International System

Name    Symbol  Value in SI units
minute   min        1 min = 60 s
hour       h            1 h = 60 min = 3600 s
day         d           1 d = 24 h = 86 400 s

Notice that the BIPM gives definitions of a minute, an hour, and a day in
terms of the only SI unit of time ­ the second ­ and that BIPM does not give
any definitions of a week, a month, or a year. Nor does it seem that BIPM
regards weeks, months or years as 'Non-SI units accepted for use with the
International System'. It is easy to see why this is so ­ there is simply no
fixed definition possible for months and years; the length of months varies
from 28 days to 31 days (originally for religious and political reasons) and
the year is constantly variable over time; the week is defined by only some
of the world's religions but not all.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin CAMS
Geelong, Australia