Mike Joy wrote:

Another reason for the UK's difficulties is the proximity to continental
> Europe. For centuries there has been animosity between England and its neighbours
>across the
> Channel, and having a French measuring system shoved down their throats

This is reality, but it is an unfortunate one. My country acts this way,
too.

At every opportunity, I seek depoliticization of SI, and would consider
it to be, for America, another important gift from France, the first
great one being the Statue of Liberty.

I strongly oppose the use of chauvinism and petty prejudice against what
is, in the end, a long-overdue improvement in metrology for the United
States. I fear that we Americans often see SI on an even more sinister
scale than the British might---as some kind of threat to national
sovereignty---when we ought to deem it to be an easier system to use and
a powerful tool to strengthen US global competitiveness. Really,
now---how much more profitable would US manufacturers doing business
overseas be if they were able to make their products using SI only?

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Blvd., Apt. 122
Midland TX 79707-2872 USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]