Just heard a nice touch on KCBS today (in San Francisco) where someone
was being interviewed talking about the joys for Americans of visiting
British Columbia. Besides mentioning the 60% discount on prices that
holders of US dollars enjoy because of comparable prices in Canadian
dollars combined with the current exchange rate, the interviewee talked
about some particularly nice resort located "only 40 kilometres from
Vancouver".

OK, OK, he did pronounce it kill-AH-me-ters, but I was still happy to
hear that he didn't do any translating into miles for the US audience,
and almost overjoyed that the American interviewer at KCBS didn't ask
for or supply his own translation into WOMBAT either.

I am tempted to believe there is real hope to continue progress to
metrication here if we can cross this next hurdle of amending the FPLA
and getting the remaining States to adopt the latest UPLR. I have a
hunch the growing appearance of SI-only packaging in (mostly, I suspect)
rational sizes will establish a new baseline both economically and
psychologically for promoting additional conversions. In the latest
parlance of sociology and political science, perhaps that transition
will prove to be a significant "tipping point" in the conversion
process.

Anyhow, good new is good news no matter where it comes from, eh, lads?
;-)

Ezra