Function: noun
Date: 1816
1 a : a graduated measuring stick three feet (0.9144 meter) long b : a standard basis
of calculation
2 : a standard for making a critical judgment : CRITERION
synonym see STANDARD

Is "metre stick" used in a similar way in the various lands beyond the shores of
Wombatland?

> From: Pat Naughtin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2003/06/12 Thu AM 03:24:05 EDT
> To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [USMA:26023] Re: British money diehards
>
> on 2003-06-11 23.01, Paul Trusten, R.Ph. at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Dear Paul and All,
>
> <snip>
> > But, will the American people fathom it? Whoops, there
> > goes the WOMBAT left in my soul:
>
> How many other unit names have become separate words in their own right?
>
> Here are three examples:
>
> 1   To inch forward.
>
> 2   To estimate the grammage of the paper. [This refers to an estimate of
> the grams per square metre (g/m2) often incorrectly referred to as gsm]
>
> 3   To know the calorific value.
>
> As you can see, from these three examples, ifp, SI, and cgs unit names can
> all be modified and converted into non-specific and ill-defined words.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pat Naughtin
> Geelong Australia
>
> Pat Naughtin is the editor of the online newsletter, 'Metrication matters'.
> You can subscribe to 'Metrication matters' by sending an email containing
> the word subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Blvd, Apt. 122
Midland TX 79707-2872 USA
432-694-6208
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are two cardinal sins, from which all the others spring: impatience and laziness.

            ---Franz Kafka