Dear Bill,

Thanks for that reference. I found it on page 113 of the English
translation. You are right that the original reference is to an
'abbreviation'.

I was alway taught that the 'symbol' was SI. Clearly, I have been in error
for a number of years.

Thanks again for the reference, and please ignore my previous posting on
this issue.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Geelong, Australia

Pat Naughtin is the editor of the free online newsletter, 'Metrication
matters'. You can subscribe by sending an email containing the words
subscribe Metrication matters to [EMAIL PROTECTED]