Joe..
Why do you insist so hard, when after all the evidence detailing what is in
fact an abbreviation, and what is in fact an acronym. SI is NOT an acronym,
pretty much end of story. For you to keep insisting that it is, is just nonsense.

Why are you having such a hard time with this simple distinction between
words? I'm very curious.

---------- Original Message ----------- From: "Joseph B. Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:05:30 -0400 Subject: [USMA:26041] RE: my German friend never heard of SI

 >Don Hillger wrote in USMA 26038:
 >
 >Technically, SI should be called an "initialism" defined below
 >as distinct from either an acronym or an abbreviation:
 >
 >An acronym is composed of the initial letters or parts of a compound
 >term. It is usually read or spoken as a single word, rather than
 >letter by letter. Examples include ADEOS (ADvanced Earth Observing
 >Satellite) and Landsat (Land Satellite).
 >An initialism is also composed of the initial letters or parts of a
 >compound term, but is generally verbalized letter by letter, rather
 >than as a single "word." Examples include ATS (Application
 >Technology Satellite) and DMSP (Defense Meteorological Satellite
 >Program).
 >An abbreviation is a shortened for of a word or words that does not
 >follow the formation of either of the above.
 >These definitions come from an acronym/initialism dictionary found
 >in the reference section of most libraries.
 >
 >Since SI is pronounced "ess-eye" it should be an initialism!

 Don

 The metric bible of the BIPM, 1998 edition, refers to "SI" as an
 "international abbreviation".  It is not an initialism for the
 English title "International System of Units".  The best fit is to
 Don's definition of an acronym: "An acronym is composed of the
 --
 Joseph B. Reid
 17 Glebe Road West