Pat Naughtin asks why the United States is the last nation to admit the extent to
which it uses the metric system. The answer to that question is that our prevailing
units of measurement are an old habit from which we've never been weaned.

However, habits can be broken, and I was reminded of the breakability of this habit
this morning when I had a bottle of Minute Maid Apple Juice, which was supplied in the
odd-sized container of 450 ml. This size seems to be a reduction from the prevailing
591 ml size. Why not 500 ml? With the opportunity to drop the WOMBAT labeling, metric
volumes will arrive in America on little cat feet, just like the liter did in 1974,
when 7-Up just started making liters, and the industry followed suit.

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Blvd, Apt. 122
Midland TX 79707-2872 USA
432-694-6208
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are two cardinal sins, from which all the others spring: impatience and laziness.

            ---Franz Kafka