To give you a briefer response than the one provided by Gene, the SI unit of
pressure is the pascal (Pa). Tire pressure and oil pressure should be
measured in kilopascals (kPa).

The average person doesn't need a full explanation -- just the conversion
factor from pounds per square inch (6.894 757).

Bill Potts, CMS
Roseville, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]