Krishna Kambhampaty wrote:
I assume Ko and Mo (used in a table) refer to kilobytes and megabytes?

I didn't find the table. However, K would be wrong for kilo, which should be
k. If they're talking about file sizes, Ki (for kibi) and Mi (for mebi)
would be preferable (see http://metric1.org/binprfx.htm).

The o is for octet, which was and possibly still is the almost universal
preference over byte in international documents (especially those of the
ITU).

<Off-topic stuff>

However, octet is not simply the French (or international-speak, which would
include English) for byte, as the diagramming and bit numbering convention
within octets also differs from that used in bytes (with two different
conventions for bytes -- IBM and Intel).

In a diagram, going from left to right, the bits of an octet are arranged
from least significant to most significant and numbered from 1 to 8. For two
adjacent octets, the numbering is 1 to 16, and so on. This bit order (i.e.,
LSB firs) corresponds to the actual order of transmission for data
communications for most protocols -- including IP.

For bytes, the bits are diagrammed from most significant to least
significant and are numbered from 0 to 7 in documents using the IBM
notation, but from 7 to 0 in documents using the Intel notation. This bit
order (i.e., MSB first) corresponds to the actual order of transmission for
IBM data communication protocols (e.g., BSC, SDLC).

<End of off-topic stuff>

Bill Potts, CMS
Roseville, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]