Dear Paul,

The Australian approach to this would be to replace the 551 mL with 600 mL ­
an increase of about 9 %.

As a food iten this would then parallel increases made to other container
sizes here. For example:

454 grams rounded to 500 grams is about 10 % (1 pound)

568 millilitres grams rounded to 600 millilitres is about 6 % (1 pint)

227 millilitres grams rounded to 250 millilitres is about 10 % (1 cup)

55 grams rounded to 60 grams is about 9 % (1 egg)

In this way, recipes were kept in the same proportions (more or less) with
only a slight increase in the overall size of the completed recipe. Cooks
could buy (say) a 250 gram block of butter and use the whole amnount in a
cake recipe and this would still match well enough with the increases in the
other ingredients.

I don't know how this might work in the USA as, for example, your quart
(946 mL) is much closer to a litre that the imperial quart (1136 mL) that
was used in Australia.

By the way, I note that you use the abbreviation ml for millilitre. Is this
the practice generally in the USA, or is it restricted to the pharmaceutical
industry? In Australia mL is recommended and it is the most used, ml is
seen, but it is much less common than mL.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Geelong, Australia