From: Pat Naughtin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Feb 10, 2004 2:43 PM
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [USMA:28621] Re: Australian Birth Announcements

Dear Stan, Carleton, Stephen and All,

Sadly, what you say seems to be true.

What actually happens is that each baby has its mass determined in kilograms
to the nearest gram and its length recorded in millimetres to the nearest
millimetre by the nurses who assist with the birth. This is the way this
information appears on the bay's birth records such as the birth
certificate.

Following this the new mother is asked by her sisters, cousins, aunts, and
her very best friends for the weight of the baby to compare the new baby
with their own babies.

To make this comparison the new mother, often assisted by the same nurses
who initially measured the baby, convert the mass of the new baby to pounds
and ounces. In the Geelong hospital they even have a large chart on the
hospital wall to assist in this process.

Personally. I abhor this practice and rail against it whenever I have an
opportunity. It seems to me that if the new baby becomes ill the physician
who treats it will want to know its mass in kilograms so that they can
administer drug dosages such as millilitres per kilogram or as micrograms
per kilogram of the baby's mass.

It seems to me to be quite dangerous to take the initial mass of the baby,
convert this to pounds and ounces for the newspaper and for female relatives
and friends, and then, when needed for the baby's health, to back convert
from pounds and ounces to kilograms to advise the treating physician, who
may have no connection with the birth hospital.

The comparisons of baby masses that I use and recommend are:

1.5 kilograms = very small baby
2.5 kilograms = small baby
3.5 kilograms = average baby
4.5 kilograms = large baby
5.5 kilograms = very large baby

And I would like to see a chart with this information replace all of the
conversion charts currently in use in Australian hospitals.

By the way, it is much less common to convert the baby's length to inches
and fractions of inches, so often this measure is simply left in millimetres
and subsequently ignored, except perhaps for the occasional newspaper
announcement.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Geelong, Australia

Pat Naughtin is the editor of the free online newsletter, 'Metrication
matters'. You can subscribe by sending an email containing the words
subscribe Metrication matters to [EMAIL PROTECTED]