Dear Terry and All,

The idea of a flexible plastic container of wine inside a less flexible
container for wine was first developed here in Geelong. I can recall the
original packaging (in the mid 1960s) as having a plastic liner filled with
wine inside a tin can; this had a capacity of four or five litres. The tin
can was painted with wood looking colors and soon became known as a 'wine
cask'.

I was careful to use the words, 'developed here in Geelong', because I think
the initial concept of 'a bag in a box' was used elsewhere for other
liquids, but the key innovation for wines - the tap - was developed here.

It wasn't long before the tin can was replaced with a stout cardboard box,
giving rise to the derisory term: 'Chateau Cardboard' as the wines used
originally in this kind of packaging were of acceptable, but not of premium
quality.
See <http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/inventions.htm> and
<http://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s549607.htm>

By the way, the 'James Harrison' mentioned on the first web page (3rd item
from the top) in relationship to beer was also from Geelong; he was editor
of the 'Geelong Advertiser'.

Since 1965, winemakers and drinkers of wines have realised the positive
benefits of the plastic liner protecting the contents from oxidation (corks
have a limited, and variable, ability to do this) and better quality wines
now also use this type of packaging. For these better quality wines it is
usual to package these in two litre or three litre containers, where the
run-of-the-mill wines are usually packed in four litre or five litre boxes,
but ten litre and twenty litre wine boxes are also used commonly in bars and
for catering purposes.

Wine casks in various formats have been in continuous use in Geelong for the
past forty years.

I have also seen oil and vinegar packed in similar 'wine casks'.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Geelong, Australia