Sent: Monday, 2004-08-02 20:57
Subject: [USMA:30614] Re: Irish Times today

Again -- it's because the cost of the product is not proportional to the size, when other expenses are factored in.  The salary of the bartender, the overhead of the pub, etc., are fixed, regardless of the quantity of product vended.  A purely hypothetical example to illustrate the concept:

Half pint:  euros 1.60 for product, 0.40 for overhead = euros 2.00.
Full pint:  euros 3.20 for product, 0.40 for overhead = euros 3.60.

"What do you mean a half pint is 2.00 and not 1.80??  Ripoff!!"

Carleton