Dear Pat,

Interesting summary.  I'd like to challenge one fact, comment on another, and
finally add some facts from a US perspective that reinforce several of the
points you made.

*I find it very difficult to believe in 1814, the inch was legally defined as
three grains of barley.  I suspect that was more in the spirit of "Hey, kids,
make your own standards at home" much like the equivalence of 1 L of water and
1 kg -- a useful approximation, but not entirely accurate.

*Your numericana reference has a link to the text of the 1819 Commission whose
report eventually became the Imperial system.  It makes two points:
-The relative multiples and submultiples of each unit of measure were well
established and recommended to continue, therefore 36" = 3' = 1 yd was already
established; none were changed in 1824, or first defined.
-It refers to a brass standard yard made in 1760 by Bird, it also refers
vaguely to a second standard, and I am not sure which was chosen.  However,
they clearly related their recommended standard yard to a seconds pendulum,
measured to be 39.1372" by this scale, and to the metre, 39.3694".  I believe
whichever of the two existing standards so measured became the 1824 Imperial
yard, later destroyed by fire.  The comparison to the metre gives 1 yd = 0.914
415 76 m.  Note that the seconds pendulum definition differs from the 1855
value.  However, the length of the day changes over time, and I am not sure how
well the concept of "mean sun" was defined in this time period.  The actual
time of the sun crossing the meredian varies seasonally throughout the year
(equation of time).

The US info is all from NIST SP447.  Our early weights and measures history
reads like a third world nation's.  Congress did little to assert its authority
over weights and measures until 1827 when a standard troy pound was obtained.
Individual states had their own standards and NIST charitably describes them as
" more or less authentic copies of the English standards."  In 1832, it
declared the span between the 27th and 63rd inch markings of the Troughton bar
as the US standard yard (this 82" bar had been brought to the US in 1815
following the War of 1812.).  I assume this relatively central section was the
best fit to the British yard of the time.

The US also had an early iron meter bar brought to the US by Hassler in 1805.
It was used for all Coast Survey work until 1890, but apparently never compared
to the yard.  It was one of several prototypes made by the Archive of the Metre
(referred to as Committee Meter in the US)
.
The second US standard yard was the bronze #11 yard obtained in 1855.  It
apparently measured well against the Imperial yard at the time.  The Troughton
bar was measured against it and the Troughton yard determined to be 0.00087"
long relative to the new standard.  Bronze #11 was compared to the Imperial
yard in 1876 and 1888.  Discrepancies were noted, and the US felt they were not
entirely due to #11.  This fits with the "shrinking Imperial yard" you noted.
Bronze #11 was measured in 1893, just before the Mendenhall order at 0.914 399
80 m against the US's prototype meter received via the Treaty of the Meter.
Assuming no aging of either the Troughton bar or bronze #11, this would place
the Troughton yard at 0.914 421 90 m, using mixed 1855 and 1893 data.  This is
close to the length used by the 1819 Commission.

In spite of the measurement above, the Mendenhall order made a statutory
declaration that the meter was equivalent to 39.37" (1 yd = 0.914 401 83 m).
This was known to be wrong, but thought to be sufficiently accurate and easy to
remember.  It was used until 1959 (and still used for Survey foot).  I think it
is obvious that had they chosen the reciprocal relationship with the same
considerations, they would have used 1 yd = 0.9144 m.

Note: I followed the lead of these articles and use 8 figures in the values of
the yard.  However, I doubt they could measure to 10 nm at the time, and some
decimal dust is involved.  With interferometry, they would be hard pressed to
measure 1/10 wavelength or around 50 nm.