Bill,

In Microsoft Word, the key combination alt+0181 inserts an upright mu. This is a cumbersome key combination, but it works.

Paul

Paul Trusten

On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Bill Hooper <billhoope...@gmail.com> wrote:

On  Mar 5 , at 6:05 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
On Friday 05 March 2010 17:36:29 Bill Hooper wrote:
... the same codes for various special characters ... like ...
the SI prefix micro-, l.c. mu (µ),

The mu is not actually a mu
(μ), ... but a micro sign (µ),

I find it difficult to comprehend the statement that "the mu is not actually a mu (µ)". If it looks like a mu it's a mu. They may come i n different styles (like italics, bold face, different type faces, e tc.) but they are all mu's.

I note that GCPM specifies that SI symbols are written in upright type (NOT italics) but I don't know the method of producing the mu in upright; I have to use italics or nothing.

But it's still a mu, at least.

Furthermore, calling it the micro- sign is circular reasoning. The symbol for micro- is DEFINED as the Greek lower case mu. Yes, it is therefore the micro- symbol (by definition) but it is nevertheless still a mu.

Old Saying:
---------------------------------
If it looks like a duck,
and it walks like a duck