Dear Mr. Scott,

This morning, while speaking on the air with astronomer-photographer Marco
Fulle about his photographs of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland, you
mentioned a distance of "a hundred meters" to him without referring to
traditional measurement units.  I want to thank you for using the metric system
as the sole frame of reference for your viewers.  Although it is not yet the
everyday measurement system for the people here in the U.S., the metric system
is the legally preferred system of measurement for U.S. trade and commerce
(Metric Conversion Act of 1975 as amended 1988).

Part of the reason for the postponement of U.S. changeover to metric is that
the U.S. media have hidden, or "dumbed down,"  the use of metric units by
converting them to traditional measurements for broadcast. I hope you will
continue to use metric units exclusively in your broadcasts, but I also hope
that you were not simply using metric units this morning because you were
"speaking to a scientist."  The metric system is the ordinary system of
measurement for nearly every nation except the U.S., and the sooner we apply it
to our daily lives, the sooner we will be ready to compete in all ways on a
planet which uses only the metric system.

Sincerely,

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
www.metric.org
trus...@grandecom.net