Too often, we hear the argument that metrication is un-American, that it would
undermine U.S. identity, while the use of traditional units "made the country
great."  But those of us who fight for the metrication goal see in the metric
system better horizons for the Nation in science and commerce, as well as the
benefits of simpler measurement for all future generations of Americans. We
argue for metrication with these higher-order views. I wish to suggest two
quotes that, while not literally dealing with measurement, reflect our stand
for technical improvement:

Nations are never stationary. They advance or recede. We cannot remain inactive
without the loss of trade, of commerce, and power.

                                  ---U.S. Representative James H. Campbell,
regarding the Transcontinental Railroad legislation, 1860

Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new
worlds...to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation.

                                  --- NASA Pilot Ellison Onizuka, died in the
Challenger explosion, 1986 (this quote may be found on page 28 of each U.S.
passport)

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.