I agree with you, Stan.  Actually, it is difficult to get much of the world,
let alone the U.S., to use the correct SI symbols, let along some kind of
standardized spelling, for unit names.  For me, it is the use of the
established symbols that must remain the same in all languages. I'm not tooting
my own horn, but merely stating fact, that the pharmaceutical industry seems to
be the most consistent user of correct SI symbolism on its product labels. It's
afte the drug leaves the stock packaging that things go down hill.

 I shall not hold it against my fellow citizens of they write meter instead of
metre. This spelling convention never made it into U.S. English. It is
reflected in the spelling of other words, such as center vs. centre,   or
theater vs. theatre. There are other spellings that became part of U.S. usage,
such as -or (U.S.) vs. -our (other countries)  (colour, flavour, valour).  In
some words of science, we have sulfate vs. sulphate,  and diarrhea vs.
diarrhoea.   I do use, and support, the pronunciation of KILL-oh-mee-ter
because it is a logical extension of the pronunciation of unit names with SI
prefixes. But, that's just I.

As for me, I am done posting anything about this again,.  It is a little known
codicil in the mission of USMA that we exist to

Unite the efforts of all individuals and organizations interested in promoting
the metric system.

Let's drop all the trivia, stand together for world metrication, and keep our
eyes on that prize!

(A mole into a Himalaya is right!)

Paul

Paul Trusten, R.Ph. , Vice President