Mr. Fisher ignores the higher purpose of metrication:  to give the average
citizen a decimal system of measurement. He also ignores the fact that
metrication is intended to be complete and permanent.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Han Maenen
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: 13 February, 2011 06:06
  Subject: [USMA:49856] Re: Interesting anti-metric argument

  Dear All,

  It was interesting indeed, although I do not accept these arguments, of
course. This is what caught my eye:
  "Among them, that Airbus Industrie, the European manufacturer of jetliners,
used the American (yes, American) system of measurement because it was more
accurate."
  Just like the French Caravelle in the 50's and 60's had to be designed and
built to USC, Airbus has to use USC. I think, but I am not sure, that the
situation has improved and that Airbus now uses both.
  But the argument that USC is more 'accurate' than SI makes me howl. USC and
British Imperial have been second hand metric systems since at least 1959,
based on the 'metric' inch, the 'metric' pound and Imperial had the UK 'metric'
gallon: The imperial (UK) gallon was legally defined as 4.54609 L.
  In fact, I consider USC and Imperial as todays' versions of Napoleons' second
hand metric system 'the Systeme Usuel', that was based on the weights and
measures of Paris, and appeared on the scene in 1812, 199 years ago, on Februay
12.
  An inch based on the length of three barley corns can never be used for high
tech work, but an inch defined as 25.4 mm can and is used for such work. And
that supposedy makes USC and Imperial more 'accurate' than SI!

  Greetings,

  Han Maenen