Note that the dimension ratios of the flags listed in the latter more closely represent commercial realizations than they do US Flag Code ratios.

A handy but obscure rule of thumb is that the length or diagonal size of a flag ought to be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 the height of the pole on which it hoisted. The link above provides a table of suggested value pairs.

Jim

On 2013-06-05 04:31, Martin Vlietstra wrote:
The ratio 10:14 (or rather 5:7) differs from sqrt(2) by a factor of 1.02%

Other approximations are

·17:12 (deviates from sqrt(2) by 0.17%

·99:70 (deviates from sqrt(2) by 0.0051%)

It really depends on how accurate you want to go and the practicalities
of keeping to the required accuracy.  I do not think that in the real
world it is practical to define a flag as having sides in the ratio
99:70, though 17:12 seems OK.