Ezra. I share your sentiment. I watch the BBC and Al Jazeera news on TV nearly every day. Al Jazeera typically gives reports using SI units but every now and then some reporter gives a measurement in feet for some odd reason. The BBC seems to be rather haphazard when it comes to measurements; sometimes meters, sometimes feet.

David Pearl MetricPioneer.com 503-428-4917

----- Message from ezra.steinb...@comcast.net ---------
    Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:46:37 +0000 (UTC)
    From: ezra.steinb...@comcast.net
 Subject: [USMA:52925] Bad sign re: Canada and metrication
      To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>

I was listening to "As It Happens" from the CBC last night. A French Canadian marine biologist was being interviewed about a whale constrained by a crab pot that they were trying to free.

When asked how big the crab pot was, he unreservedly used "feet" instead of "meters". :-(

After all these years of metrication and even with the influence of the metric used in French TV shows, magazines, etc. which abound in Quebec, this guys still used "feet".

Maybe he was translating from "meters" since he was on the English language radio network, but it still is a sad reminder of the bad influence of the USA on Canada when it comes to metric usage.

Ezra

----- End message from ezra.steinb...@comcast.net -----