Interesting, thanks for your experiences (and persistence), Mark

OK, so I guess we have four (at least) problems:

- Resistance (either to change in general, or specifically against this)
- the Loveable Stubbornness problem (in which American refusal to switch to
metric, despite all apparent logic, and with all the craziness that ensues
is perceived as warm/charming/organic, in short, loveable…)
- the Metric Dweeb problem (whereby the metrication cause is undermined by
a perception of being out-of-touch with “real” problems through its
insistance on a seemingly trivial point)
- the Blank Stare problem (whereby the need for change is not fully
appreciated, ie. you already have metric, so what?)

Fascinating stuff. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes with the latter two
points.  It's just an attempt at my part at identifying some potential
perception problems and poking around at them.  They seem especially thorny
because they may require psychological/sociological insights — do we have
metrication fans that can generate such insights?

For the Metric Dweeb problem, I guess the first thing we can ask ourselves
is if there are any behaviours on our part that play into this.  We may
never be able to change this perception, but I wonder if there are any low
hanging fruit to pick in terms of not reinforcing it any further?
 Hyperbole may be one, for example, appearing to blame all of America's
ills on the lack of metrication, predicting the collapse of American
industry, etc (I only know of one person that does this).  Dunno.
 Awareness is probably a good first step, awareness of the possibility of
our actions reinforcing the Metric Dweeb perception…

Sorry if that's rambly.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>