 From: "c...@traditio.com" <c...@traditio.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:51 PM
Subject: [USMA:53182] Re: U.S. Customary e.edu>

Thank you for that.  I didn't realize that NIST used the term officially.

I find that in 5.3.2 of NIST Special Publication 811 (Guide):  The following
statement occurs:  "There are many units besides CGS units that are outside the
SI and not accepted for use with it, including, of course, all of the U.S.
customary (that is, inch-pound) units."

Note that the word "customary" is not capitalized, so it appears to be a
descriptive term, i.e., the units that are customarily used in the U.S., rather
than strictly the proper name of a system (U.S. Customary), although the term
is commonly used in this way, as indicated by its common abbreviation, "USC."

Martin Morrison