From: Kilopascal [mailto:kilopas...@cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:06 PM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53236] Re: \"Math Conversion-Metric System Help!,\" Cries a
Nursing Student

Mark,

It is often said that American students are taught the metric system in school.
 Yet, I have yet find proof of it.  If the metric system is taught, when is it
taught and how is it taught?  My understanding is that it is not taught in the
same manner USC is taught.  USC is ingrained in the students head and by the
time metric is taught American students are fully functional in USC.  Metric if
and when taught is only taught by conversion.

Students are taught not how to measure in metric units but are taught to
convert metric to USC.  A proper understanding of the metric system is never
developed in Americans so when it is encountered it ends up being a panic
situation.

So without a background in metric is it any wonder that there is no interest in
science and technology among today's teens.  You may find the article of
interest.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/teens-losing-interest-science-tech-100000227.html

[USMA:53236] Re: "Math Conversion-Metric System Help!," Cries a Nursing
Student<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=subject:%22%5BUSMA%3A53236%5D+Re%3A+%26quot%3BMath+Conversion-Metric+System+Help%21%2C%26quot%3B+Cries+a+Nursing+Student%22>

Henschel
Mark<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=from:%22Henschel+Mark%22>
 Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:54:31
-0700<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=date:20130910>
Here is my contribution:

The real problem here is that this student was not exposed to the Metric System
in fourth grade, or fifth grade or sixth grade or basically not any time in any
significant way until she got to nursing school. There the emphasis was on
conversion. Of course she is confused. This does not happen in metric
countries. The Metric System is not a conversion, but a complete system which,
when used by itself, is extremely easy. We clearly need much more metric
education in our middle schools and high schools, so students will learn to
"think metric" and not think of the Metric System as something that needs to be
converted from or to. Ninety six percent of doctors and nurses around the world
use the Metric System only, with no use of inch-pound units at all. Body mass
index is much easier in the Metric System, just take your mass in kilograms and
divide by your height in meters squared. No conversions necessary. And for
temperature, remember the poem : "30 is hot, 20 is nice, 10 wear a coat, 0 is
ice". Much easier than all that multiplying, dividing, adding and subtracting
from Fahrenheit.