From: Kilopascal
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:45 PM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: GAIL may become partner in TAPI gas pipeline project | Business Line

Despite being a metric country, India may be the worst when it comes to using
symbols correctly.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/article3505680.ece

An interesting article in its use and non-use of metric.  No dual units here
and mostly metric with some strange unit symbols:

The envisaged 1,080 km pipeline (144 km in Turkmenistan, 735 km in Afghanistan
and 800 km in Pakistan) will have a capacity to transport 90 mscmd of gas — 38
mscmd each for India and Pakistan and the remaining 14 mscmd for Afghanistan.

What the blazes is mscmd?  I'm only guessing but I think cm is cubic metres and
maybe d is for day, which I think they are trying to imply cubic metres per
day.  This is why it is so important to use agreed international symbols and
not make up any of your own.

India also wanted the Turkmenistan gas price to be more attractive than the
current long-term contract price. Rough estimates show that the Turkmenistan
gas may cost around $13/mBtu.

BTU?  Why this and not joules?

No virus found in this message.