So that everyone can see the article, links to an index page, and the specific
newsletter:
http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/pubs/wmd-newsletter-archive.cfm
http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/pubs/upload/WMConnection-Vol4-Issue5-Sept-11-2013.pdf

Yes, the author confuses units and values at several points.  However, the
examples are correct in that they determine the larger value for comparison to
actual net contents.

If we believe metric-only (permissive or otherwise) will come to pass, then I
have a second concern.  The article suggests ambivalence in whether to convert
customary to metric or metric to customary to determine the larger value.  It
also suggests the inspector should work in the native units of the larger
claim.  This leads to the inspector working in both customary and metric
according to which claim is larger.  Would it not be better to ALWAYS convert
customary to metric, then compare actual net contents to the larger metric
value?  Learning to do this now would help inspectors prepare for a metric only
future, and the process would be simplified when we become metric only.

I am concerned an inspector may become used to always converting the metric
claim to customary and working in customary.  This will leave him ill-prepared
for a metric future.  He should have the equipment and necessary training to do
the comparison with actual in metric.