From: "Martin Vlietstra" <vliets...@btinternet.com>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Subject: [USMA:53320] RE: Presenting the metric system to the innumerate

Try finding the average height of the students in your class using feet and inches, then using metric units.

Next try them with a problem that a friend and I had a few years ago –what should the approximate diameter of a sphere be if it is to accommodate 2000 tons of water. (They may assume that one long ton (2240 lbs) equals one short ton (2000 lbs) equals one tonne).  I did this problem mentally when it was presented to me. My reasoning was:

                One tonne of water has a mass of one cubic metre.

                We need to construct a sphere of volume 2000 cubic metres

                If we work in units of 10 metres, we need to find the radius and therefore the diameter of a sphere with volume 2 units.

If you made it simpler, by requiring a cube rather than a sphere, the answer works out at 10*(2)^0.333 metres or approximately 13 metres.

I had the answer, while my friend, who was working out the same problem had started off : 2000*2240/62.5 to get the volume. (BTB, I am a Brit, so used tones of 2240 lbs – another good reason for the metric system).

You might also like to warn your students about the hazards of drinking in the UK – our pints are larger than yours.

Martin