I went to the optometrist yesterday. They asked my height and weight, which I
gave in metric, which the gal entered without comment. The optometrist met me
in the other room with the phoropter and inserted a measuring stick with some
text on it into the phoropter to check my near vision. The phoropter is
entirely in metric except for one side of the stick. She asked me to hold a
book in normal position (I had taken out my contacts for her to check my
vision with the phoropter), which she measured with the stick as 35 cm
(theoretical normal is 40).

I surmised that my shortness has something to do with it and asked her how
tall she is. She said five something and bumbled around trying to convert it to
meters. Next time I'm going to bring in my 8 meter tape and invite her to know
her height in metric.

Pierre
--
sei do'anai mi'a djuno puze'e noroi nalselganse srera