"they think I am some type of government agent " - haha, that is true... then
that is why NY State is one of the last ones...

I learned custom units along with English language, and had not even thought
about metric system much until 10 years later when I noticed that US kids don't
even try to do any math in their heads.

I don't recall ESL classes teaching conversion from metric to custom units(ESL
teachers would need to know metric for that), but they definitely explained
custom units if someone had a question(foot is about of size of your foot and
there are tree of those in a yard).

USMA discussions tough me to switch my thermostats/scales to metric and to
announce my height and weight in a medical office in metric units without any
hesitation. I would not dare to do so without USMA ;-)

Using custom units on a daily basis was not a problem for me at all
(grammatical articles were much worse enemies). But it was sad to observe that
math/science education is suffering and US kids(including immigrants' kids) are
in such disadvantaged position compare to foreign kids.

Natalie