From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
Paul Trusten
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:27 PM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53405] Delsym 12-Hour Cough Relief liquid dosing cup

As told to me on the product's consumer hotline, the dosing cup (right) for
this over-the-counter cough liquid is marked off in milliliters only.  This is
among the first occurrences of exclusively metric measurement in a U.S.-
marketed nonprescription remedy. The "Drug Facts" label on Delsym products also
excludes mention of non-metric units of volume, and includes the statement "mL
= milliliter," suggesting that the manufacturer wishes to make these
measurements metric-oriented. The dosing cup on the left , which came from a
generic antihistamine liquid product, retains the dual scaling in non-metric
and metric units, as the majority of U.S. dosing cups seem to be doing, at
least according to my recent patrol of the OTC liquid medication aisle at two
local chain outlets.