Below is a short comment I did on the common core site.

John Altounji
One size does not fit all.
Social promotion ruined Education.

From: John Altounji [mailto:phy...@msn.com]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 2:37 PM
To: commonstanda...@ccsso.org
Subject: measurements

I was reviewing the math part of the common core and I regret to see the
following:

Grade 2

Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.

CCSS.Math.Content.2.MD.A.1
<http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/2/MD/A/1/>
Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools
such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.

If we need to keep our students to be confused, this is the best approach.
I had students in high school who think that the inch side of a meter stick
is centimeter and the metric side is millimeter.  Unless we introduce the
metric system first, because it is easier and international, our students
will continue to hate math, especially that fractions are introduced so
early with all the attached nonsense of proper and improper fraction.  As an
educator, I feel that this approach is not serving our students.  I prefer
that the inch-pound be introduced in the appendix of math books after the
students have mastered measurements in metric.

Thank you for considering my opinion,

John Altounji

Adjunct Assistant Professor

Los Angeles Valley College