 From: Martin Vlietstra <vliets...@btinternet.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:06 AM
Subject: [USMA:53727] RE: Strange coke can

Yes, that is an imperial pint, but it would be illegal to sell it in the UK.

Although EU rules permit “supplementary units” alongside metric units, UK
legislation has catalogued those units that are permitted as “supplementary
units” – the word “pint” MUST refer to the Imperial pint. If this can was sold
in the UK, the shop selling it would be charged with short measure.  The use of
the US floz is tolerated because the customer does not lose out if the two are
confused with each other – the US floz is slightly larger than the imperial
floz, there being 20 imperial floz in an imperial pint, not 16 as in the US.