From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of mechtly, eugene a
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 17:10
To: U.S. Metric Association
Cc: mechtly, eugene a; U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53739] Re: Declarations of Net Amounts Inside Containers

I just bought a bar of "Shave Soap."

"NET 3.5 OZ (99.2 g)" is printed of the cardboard container as the
declaration of net amount provided.

What is your analysis of this declaration?  Why was the fill amount not 100
grams?

EAM.

On Apr 19, 2014, at 11:18 AM, kilopascal <kilopas...@cox.net
<mailto:kilopas...@cox.net> > wrote:

Eugene & Carleton,

This would be an interesting survey question?

Of the 3 contents declarations below, which number would you pay attention
to first? second? and third?

I would bet that most people would pick up on the 89 ounces first and ignore
the other two.  If the ounces were removed and only the pints and litres
stood, the pints would be preferred over the litres.  Most people prefer
whole numbers and the simpler the better.  Decimal parts in any way shape or
form are a turn off.  But one decimal place would be preferred over two
places.

Yes, you are right, 3 L or 2.5 L (read as two and a half) would get around
having to utter the word "point".  This is one of the reasons the 0.009 $
trick works.  People ignore the that last "9" and fail to round up, so they
see a cheaper price and that is what is intended.

Removing all of the USC and leaving only 2.63 L would be a turn off and the
people who do pay attention to the contents declarations would be fuming
with anger.  So there would have to be some sort of fill modification in
order to get the numbers in a friendly format.

Nutritional labels are what they are and I'm sure ignored by most and of
course, there was a recent campaign to rid the labels of grams and
millilitres for teaspoons.  So, yes there is some rejection of the metric
only on labels.

The practice of reducing the size while keeping the price the same is not
deceptive.  It is no different than keeping the size the same and increasing
the price.  Where is one better over the other?  As long as the size is
defined on the package, it is up to the consumer to determine for
himself/herself if the cost is justified.  If they are going to change the
size, it should be in a whole number of grams.

I never said anything about rounding to 30 g or 30 mL.  I said the ounce
should be standardised  to 30 g and 30 mL.  The FDA already did this, NIST
should follow.  This will make it easier for comparing or converting onces
sizes from round numbers to non-round metric values to rounded metric
values.  There would no longer be 453 g or 453.6 g or 454 g or any other
nonsense when pound sizes are soft converted.  A pound will appear as either
450 g or 480 g, which ever there packer decides.  30 g or mL increments
make it easier to portion food and drinks into halves, thirds, quarters,
fifths, sixths, etc.  450 g of hamburger divided 3 ways is 150 g each.  Much
easier than dividing 16 ounces into 3 on the old system.  This is a rebuttal
to those who claim metric units can't be divided by 3.

By redefining the ounce to a value of 30, and allowing producers to continue
in their ounce world would make it simpler for us using metric.  We would
get rounded, whole numbers with lots of divisors to work with.  A win-win
situation for us.

Of course, amounts <30 would not be affected.

We can't force the others to follow us, but what we can do is try to make it
friendly to our side when they don't want to.

[USMA:53737] Declarations of Net Amounts Inside Containers

mechtly, eugene a Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:16:03 -0700

I have in my refrigerator a plastic container which bears the declaration of

net amount of lemonade inside:
"2.63 L (2.7 QT) 89 FL OZ"

While this declaration is not "rounded" in liters or in any of the other
units
of measurement employed, the declaration probably meets all the requirements
of
the existing FPLA.

My recommendation would be a targeted "fill amount" of 2.50 liters (alone),
or
perhaps 3 liters (alone), if 3.00 liters can fit inside this very same
container, and after an amended FPLA permits.

After this container is emptied, I intent to measure its maximum capacity.

Eugene Mechtly

On Apr 18, 2014, at 12:40 PM, mechtly, eugene a
<mech...@illinois.edu <http://illinois.edu> <mailto:mech...@illinois.edu>>
wrote:

kPa,

How do you define "rounding"; a numerical value of one non-zero digit, two
digits one of which must be zero, three digits two of which must be zero, or

what?

Look at the labels of Nutrition Facts.  They are *not* all rounded numerical

values in grams or milliliters!  These "not rounded numerical values" are
not
rejected by the public.

Even the FPLA does not impose *rounded* values on packagers.

Freedom of net-amount sizes must be retained whether the units are SI or not
SI
for declarations of net amounts inside packages or containers!

Freedom of net-amount sizes does, however, lend itself to the deceptive
practice of keeping the retail price constant while decreasing the net
amount
provided.

e.g. A bar of candy offered, over time, at a constant retail price but in
ever
decreasing net amounts of, say, 30 g, 29 g, 28 g, 27g, 26 g, 25 g, etc.,
etc.
How many consumers notice?

Rounding *always* to 30 gram or to 30 milliliter increments is *not*
acceptable!  Where do you buy super glue in 30 gram tubes, or eye drops in a
30
milliliter vile?

I oppose *mandated* net fills of 30 g or 30 ml.

I do agree, however, that awkward net fills such as 28.3 g or 29.6 ml would
be
unattractive to consumers, if standing alone.

EAM

On Apr 18, 2014, at 6:15 AM, kilopascal