I think that Mr John M. Steele makes an excellent point. I whole-heartedly
agree with John on this. I make similar points in my January 2014 blog.

Here is a link:
http://metricpioneer.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/long-scale-and-short-scale-how-much-is-a-billion-it-depends-where-you-live/
 and
three paragraphs near the end of that blog:

A mile is the longest imperial unit and an inch is the shortest imperial
unit, so a billion miles or a billionth of an inch is clearly a problematic
way to measure anything in an international context. I think it is a
mistake to limit our usage of SI units to this tiny range. That is, I think
it is a mistake for people to refuse to take advantage of SI units larger
than a kilometer and smaller than a centimeter; clearly, those people have
enslaved themselves into thinking in scientifically outdated imperial
units.

The beauty of the International System of units or SI after its French
initials is that one has the option to dispense with ever having to use any
word for any number higher than thousand on the scale, which thankfully has
only one definition everywhere on Earth.

Using the SI, one can measure everything from the width of a tiny neutrino
at 1 ym (one yoctometer) to the diameter of the observable universe at 880
Ym (eight hundred eighty yottameters) without ever using words for numbers
that have different values in different places on Earth.

----- Message from "John M. Steele" <jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net> ---------