Because distance and footage are two entirely different things.

----- Message from Martin Vlietstra <vliets...@btinternet.com> ---------
    Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:34:12 +0100
    From: Martin Vlietstra <vliets...@btinternet.com>
Subject: [USMA:54287] RE: [USMA:54283] RE: He won’t touch issue with
3.048-meter pole
      To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>

Why not use “distance” in place of “footage”.

     FROM: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] ON
BEHALF OF cont...@metricpioneer.com
SENT: 11 August 2014 00:21
TO: U.S. Metric Association
SUBJECT: [USMA:54283] RE: He won’t touch issue with 3.048-meter pole

   Al Lawrence. In my opinion, your evaluation is accurate (and also
unfortunate). I wonder about common expressions like footage and
milestone. What words could we use in lieu of such words? Any ideas?

----- Message from Al Lawrence <alana...@hotmail.com> ---------