        http://www.metricmethods.com/metricmoments.php
I probably should update it a bit and I'm open to suggestions. The ones about 90 mm disks and VCR tapes might be removed now.

Jim

On 2015-06-10 10:25, c...@traditio.com wrote:
The problem I see is that we (USMA) still get bogged down way too much
in mathematical and technical and historical technicalities, which a
mostly science-ignorant population tunes out.  In this interview, the
practical argument was relegated to the very last few seconds, after
lots of talk about abstruse (to the general public) metric units,
Napoleon, and Roman miles -- fascinating in themselves and encouraged by
the interviewer, but of no practical interest to the audience.  I can
just hear that audience thinking:  "That's why I don't like the metric
system.  It's too confusing."

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO GET OFF THIS TRACK OF TRYING TO
PERSUADE PEOPLE THAT THE METRIC SYSTEM IS BETTER FOR LOGICAL REASONS.
PEOPLE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THAT ARGUMENT.

Instead, we need to emphasize the ECONOMIC and FINANCIAL advantages of
completing the national conversion to metric.  I say "completing,"
because we are 50% converted already, and there is no going back.  If we
complete the conversion, we become competitive worldwide and can take
advantage of billions of dollars of extra commerce.

But people don't realize that we are already 50% metric.  One of the
revelations that has come to me during this recent discussion is that
most people don't recognize the metric system when they see it.  When
they buy 500 mg of aspirin, they don't know that the milligram is a
metric unit. When they buy a 2-liter Coke, they don't realize that the
liter is a metric unit.  When they buy a 3500-lumen CFL, they don't
realize that the lumen is a metric unit.  They "think metric" without
knowing it.  We (USMA) really need to take this fact into account when
we develop our arguments.

People are not moved by philosophical arguments now.  They are moved by
practical arguments.  If you tell them that metric means a job for them
or a higher salary, they will convert overnight!  Remember the motto:
"Metric Means Jobs and Money."  --Martin Morrison, USMA Columnist

--
James R. Frysinger
632 Stoney Point Mountain Road

(C) 931.212.0267