Pharmaceuticals were never metricated in the sense that there was a discrete transition from apothecary to metric according to a coordinated plan. Generally, older drugs such as thyroid extract, phenobarbital, acetaminophen (Tylenol) and aspirin, were manufactured in doses of grains. I need to find out just when and why, but later, greater precision was preferred in dosing, and the metric system was used, and much prior to 1972. Just curious: do you remember which medication was ordered in the movie?

Quoting "c...@traditio.com" <c...@traditio.com>:

Paul (Trusten) -- In watching a 1972 movie on television the other night, I noticed that a hospital physician ordered a medication in grains. That reminded me that I had never heard an explanation about how it came about that the medicinal area became almost completely metricated at some period after that.

I don't ever recall hearing the story about how this happened. I have heard about the conversion of wine bottles, but I don't recall that we have ever had an article in Metric Today about the medicinal conversion.

If anyone would know the story, Paul, you would! Could you give a brief explanation for this USMA list and consider writing a more extensive article for Metric Today? --Martin Morrison

Paul R. Trusten
Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association (USMA), Inc.
www.metric.org
Midland, Texas USA
+1(432)528-7724