I have heard some stations use millimeters for small distances, but this morning on CNN occurred the first time when I heard centimeters used outside of a scientific context. One of the morning hosts described two Presidential candidates as a "centimeter" apart in their political positions.

There is no doubt that metric units are making their way into America at a growing rate, perhaps because so much coverage is now coming from international sources. Metric units will become more and more familiar in a natural way -- without government action and without stirring up anti-metric sentiment. We might wish for a unified approach from government, but the natural way might be the better way.

Reagan couldn't get the job done. Can you imagine what kind of a mess the Obama administration would make of it? Maybe there would be some hope with Trump. At least he is an international businessman, used to dealing with metric countries. If anyone could get the job done, he probably could, but I have not heard him comment on this issue.

--Martin Morrison, "Metric Today" Columnist