Paul
A few  things stand out as being odd.
1. The stage 1 K&N kit comes with an extra small washer that MUST be
installed for proper needle/slide operation and also allow for half step
needle changes.
2. FOAM AIR FILTER ? I would replace that with the K&N inbox right off the
bat.That itself could be part of your problem.
3. If the slides are drilled you can't go back to the stock needles.The jets
are interchangable however.

It sounds like you have a combination of things causing your problem.You can
get just the small washers from K&N.Start there and replace the filter.
Check the main jet size.If they are K&N they should be the 165 mains for a
stock bike.The needle position should be 1.5 to 2 max.Most people tend to
set the bike up to rich.Also 2 to 2.5 turns on the low side is normal.
As a last resort you can spend $100 and get the correct stage 1 kit which
will have the right parts and instructions.I noticed no decrease in milage
with the kit and in fact had a slight improvement.Hope this helps.Bob H