Stan,

Interesting questions! I'll tell you what our marketing, design, and
development studio (Found Line) does. I have some ideas on how our
approach compares and contrasts with what others in the industry do,
but I'd rather not make too many assumptions about other companies so
I'll stick to talking about what we do.

First, we *never* do work for hire. This is, in my opinion, a really
bad idea for most creative firms. There are many problems with work
for hire including putting your intellectual property at risk (for you
and your clients!). Also, the laws on work for hire are strange when
it comes to software - I'm not even sure if it's possible for software
to be done as a work for hire (other than as an employee, of course).

For all non-software work (design, illustration, copy, etc.) we do a
*full* copyright transfer to the client, upon full payment, of the
delivered work. The client typically does not get copyright
transferred on rounds leading up to the final deliverable. We do *not*
charge any licensing or royalty fees. The client owns the work
(assuming they paid their invoice) and can use it however they would
like.

For software, we don't do a full copyright transfer as this would
impractical. With software it makes sense to be able to reuse code,
and if we transferred copyright we would never be able to do this.
Instead, we license software to our clients using the free/open source
New BSD License. This gives us full protection - we still hold the
copyright and own the software. It also gives our clients total
freedom - they can use the software however they want, modify the
source code, release modified (or unmodified) versions, even integrate
it with proprietary software if they want. We build all of our web
applications now on Zend Framework which also uses the New BSD License
so this helps keep licensing simple and consistent for our clients.

Thanks,
Bradley

--
http://bradley-holt.blogspot.com/