Evan,
My apologies for apparently not clearly stating the issue. Here's try
number 2:
1) Run the program.
2) Close the GUI that pops up
3) The GUI goes away as expected but the process is still running in my
terminal

As for you suggestion, I already have that line in my code. Line 54 of
MainWindow.vala.

Andrea,
Good guess! I hadn't actually tried that one. That didn't fix it though :(
I'm now left with the process still there but now with the following error
message:

(balistica:2473): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops !=
NULL' failed

Steven N. Oliver