msgfmt is a gettext program and ITS appears to stand for Internationalization
Tag Set.
>From the gettext manual "Marking translatable strings in an XML file is done
>through

a separate "rule" file, making use of the Internationalization Tag Set
standard" - see

https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Preparing-ITS-Rules.html

So I would guess your <_p></_p> tags in

https://github.com/saigkill/gnome-publisher/blob/master/data/org.gnome.Publisher.appdata.xml.in
might need some metadata.

You might get a few more clues from here:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/1565

Regards,

Al