Perhaps I did not understanding the nature of valgrind multiplatform
support, so my previous questions were somewhat unclear.  Allow me to
start from a more root question:

Is a given arch/OS build of valgrind only capable of running guest
applications that target that same exact arch/OS?  When fiddling around
with --enable-only* configurations it seems that the x86_64 builds don't
run i386 applications even if the OS supports running i386 (e.g.
x86_64-darwin valgrind libs don't work for i386 apps even though OSX
supports i386).  Am I correct to say that "dual-arch" configuration just
meaning that both x86_64 and i386 core and tools are built and the
launcher picks the correct libs to use, but the individual libs are
still limited to instrumenting applications that are of the same
architecture that they themselves are compiled for? (i.e. you don't get
VM-like capabilities of running another arch/OS by intermediate
translation to VEXIR and then JIT into the native arch/OS)

-Paolo