On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 14:48 -0700, Jerry Blakley wrote:
> I'm running valgrind on fedora 19. I checked libvex code which
> executes the hwcaps code, but can't find anything in particular.

> vex: priv/main_main.c:319 (LibVEX_Translate): Assertion
> `are_valid_hwcaps(VexArchAMD64, vta->archinfo_host.hwcaps)' failed.

This will happen when valgrind/VEX doesn't understand the (combination
of) cpuid capabilities of your CPU.

Specifically show_hwcaps_amd64 () in VEX/priv/main_main.c should return
a valid string describing the configuration (not NULL).

The version in fedora valgrind 3.8.1 only handles fixed combinations of
flags, the version in valgrind SVN is more flexible.

> flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht
> syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm rep_good nopl pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma
> cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes f16c hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy
> extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch xop fma4 tce
> tbm perfctr_core perfctr_nb arat cpb hw_pstate

If I am reading that right, you don't have AVX, RDTSCP, BMI or AVX. You
do have SSE3 (pni), XC16 and LZCNT (abm)

Which should give you:

      case VEX_HWCAPS_AMD64_SSE3 | VEX_HWCAPS_AMD64_CX16
           | VEX_HWCAPS_AMD64_LZCNT:
         return "amd64-sse3-cx16-lzcnt";

So I am probably missing some detail/flag.

Which fedora valgrind package version is this exactly?
You can tell by running "rpm -q valgrind".
Have you tried valgrind build from SVN?

Thanks,

Mark