On 10/30/2013 06:50 AM, Philippe Waroquiers wrote:
> All the above is caused by the internal Valgrind kitchen.
> In particular, the pipes are used to implement a lock.
> The write is an "unlock" and the read is a "lock".

I see. Thanks very much for explaining. It certainly did look unusual.
I'm quickly getting a sense of what's under the hood in Valgrind... a
lot more than I thought.

> NB: just for my own info, why are you using --vgdb=no ?
> Any problems with it ?

I'm not exactly sure at this point. It was added to the test script
quite some time ago. It may just be there to suppress the informational
messages from Valgrind saying how to debug the program.

By the way, I was able to find the problem in our software with a good
amount of luck and by progressively whittling down the test. It
uncovered an unconsidered corner case in some code that goes back ten
years. Thanks!

Tim