My problem is when powering off the VM it gets stuck in the "powering
off" state and never resumes. The only temporary fix is to reboot the
host machine.
I am using Virtual-Box 4.1.6 Guest OS: Red Hat 2.6.32 . I've tried
researching this problem extensively, the only solutions I've found is
to use 3.x series, but looking at similar issues the problem can also
exist with old versions such as vb 1.6:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6747&p=233895#p233895
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8016

I've also seen some have solved the problem by turning off 3D
Acceleration for display, I already have this option set to off and
the problem persists. Anything I've found seems to be quite dated, I
am a new user to Virtual Box so I was wondering if there are any up to
date solutions for VB 4.1.6 ?