Dear Christoph,

thanks for your help - I'm afraid using the <Host> - F and other options has no impact. I connected an external monitor, and it wouldn't recognise the appropriate resolution of that either (1920x1200), so I am starting to think that this may have to do with the combination of KUbuntu 17.04 and VirtualBox 5.1.22. But I don't want to go back to previous distributions/versions just to make VB work - if there is a bug, presumably it will have to be resolved. If there is a solution, it would be nice to work out what it is! I have Virtualbox 5.0.26 on KUbuntu 16.04, on a different PC, which works perfectly.

Thanks,
Jonathan