On Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:42:21 PM EDT j...@dodin.org wrote:
> Le 19/10/2017 à 22:16, Tom a écrit :
> > Could my CPU be on the fritz? How can I test that?
>
> did you activate the VTx (or other virtual) in the bios?

The BIOS has 3 Virtualization settings. The first one just enables
virtualization, and that was already selected.

The second option is "Enable VT for Direct I/O". Enabling that one by itself
made the problem worse.

The third option is Trusted Execution, which requires the second option.
Selecting both the 2nd and 3rd options creates a BIOS error about invalid
setup. I had to disable them so I could reboot.

BTW, VBox is version 5.1.26, the VM has 4 cores and 16Gig of RAM, and VT-x is
enabled for the VM,

Also, the problem does not happen right away. It usually happens after using
the VM for a few hours. For example, while I'm typing this in the host, VBox
is using 30% - 33% CPU. Swiching to the VM to activate a minimized window
changes the CPU usage to 55% to 65% for a few seconds, but then it drops back
down to 33%. These examples are all while performance is normal.

Lastly, when performance sucks, all running apps in the VM have normal CPU
usages.

Tom