2009/3/19 Brian J. Murrell <br...@interlinx.bc.ca>:
> Hrm.  You don't seem to have a grasp on how things work in the real
> world...

Hello Brian,

Thanks for enlightening me about what goes on in the "real world"
outside my bubble. I forgot to say I was an IBM customer and had
contact with top execs until not too long ago. That's why I fear an
IBM acquisition of an innovative, relatively small firm like Sun.

Buy hey, WTF do I know...

Sun Micro Troops Fearful, Incredulous About IBM
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2009/03/reuters_us_sunmicro_ibm_profile_sb

A Blue Sun is a Black Day for IT
http://blogs.computerworld.com/a_blue_sun_is_a_black_day_for_it

Why Cisco, not IBM, should buy Sun
http://gigaom.com/2009/03/18/why-cisco-not-ibm-should-buy-sun/

Sun deal could face regulatory hurdles
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/69c82a3c-13ec-11de-9e32-0000779fd2ac.html

Ballmer: IBM-Sun deal could help Microsoft
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/031909-ballmer-ibm-sun-deal-could-help.html

IBM-Sun merger called anticompetitive
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/integration/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215901179&subSection=All+Stories

"As a business technology consultant with a long and painful history
of connection to IBM, I am ambivalent as to any benefits of their
acquisition of SUN for the future of UNIX and particularly GNU/Linux.
With all that powerhouse of competitive technology, IBM is unlikely to
challenge Microsoft to any greater degree than now - even in
Banking/financial institutions where infrastructure software from
Microsoft is almost non-existent.
Sun recently saw the light in regards open sourcing Java, Solaris,
OpenOffice, etc. - all of which are likely to "die on the vine"
so-to-speak since they have no place in IBM's Global Services
offerings that are IBM VMS and Microsoft specific. -- W. Anderson
wander...@kimalcorp.org"

Source:
http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/03/ibm-sun-acquisition-good-for-u.html

Gregory Stec said:

IBM is service (solution) seller. IBM is interested in Sun for Sun
customer base and for technology. In my opinion this is bad for open
source application like OpenOffice.
March 18, 2009 12:24 PM

> Revolt?  The employees have no say in this matter.

Of course not. If half the company employees walk away after an
acquisition (see AOL's purchase of Netscape), then the CEO and the
board better evaluate different offers, don't you think?

>  The duty of the executive in a public company is to the shareholders first.
> That's a
> fiduciary (IOW, legal) duty, not just one the executive decides on their
> own.

That must be why the Yahoo CEO ended in jail after refusing to be
swallowed into Microsoft, right?.

>> Even under Dell or HP it'll fare better than under the weight of Big
>> Blue. Or better yet, take it of the stock markets and become privately
>> owned...
>
> Yeah.  Just crack that gumball machine open and buy back all of the
> publicly traded stock.  Great idea.  I wonder why the "ponytail CEO"
> didn't think of that one.

I don't have the quote handy, but I read somewhere that former Sun
execs were looking for other buyers.

BTW: Do you own IBM or Sun stock and are hoping for a quick buck?. Just curious.

I don't own any stock in any tech firms. Yet I've seen enough of the
software landscape since the early 1990s to date to comment on the
dangers of this merger.

> Now, as for the real world, VirtualBox is FOSS.  If you don't like the
> direction it goes in, you are free to take the source and do something
> new and different with it.

Great, I will ask you when there's an odd bug in Virtualbox then and
IBM has decided to fire Frank Mehnert  and his Vbox team Virtualbox
doesn't suit IBM's agenda of the day and has put Virtualbox in
"maintenance mode" (now renamed IBM Wesphere Enterprise Virtualization
Server for z-Series") at their research centre in Beijing,
incidentally making it "an integral part" of another piece of IBM
middleware software junk.

[I won't comment further, as this is kinda off-topic for this list]

FC