I guess you´re aware that 32-bit OSs cannot typically address more
than 4GB of RAM.

Thus, on a 16GB RAM system, you´ll be much better by running a 64-bit
host OS. As simple as that.

PAE is just a trick, that allows a given process to get its own 4GB
flat address space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

...in the same way XMS and EMS allowed programs to bypass the 640K DOS
limitation ages ago...

FC

2009/12/18 Solón Cáceres Moreno <so...@bogotanos.net>:
> I have a proliant server ML350 G6 with 16 GB of RAM and Linux Ubutu 9.10
> (Karmic) 32-bit kernel with PAE. That's my host and I'm running virtualbox
> 3.12.
>
> Virtualbox will not let me create virtual machines (guests) with more than
> 2.5 GB of RAM. For example, I am creating a virtual machine  Windows 2008
> Server Enterprise and I can assign up 2.5Gb of RAM which is very little to
> the requirements of this operating system.
>
> The Virtualbox manual online says: "...the "Enable PAE/NX"  setting
> determines whether the PAE and NX capabilities of the host CPU will be
> exposed to the virtual machine. PAE stands for "Physical Address Extension".
> Normally, if enabled and supported by the operating system, then even a
> 32-bit x86 CPU can access more than 4 GB of RAM. This is made possible by
> adding another 4 bits to memory addresses, so that with 36 bits, up to 64 GB
> can be addressed. Some operating systems (such as Ubuntu Server) require PAE
> support from the CPU and cannot be run in a virtual machine without it".
>
> I have done all the processes recommended in the forums and the manuals and
> the situation remains the same. I do not want to install 64-bit operating
> systems because I think we still have missing drivers, among other things.
>
> What may be happening?
>
> Greetings from Colombia,
> Solón Cáceres Moreno
> Systems Engineer
> Personal Home Page: http://solca-ws.bogotanos.net/
>

> Spanish Version post:
> Yo tengo un servidor proliant ml350 G6 con 16 GB de memoria RAM y Linux
> Ubutu 9.10 (Karmic) de 32 bits y kernel con PAE . Ese es mi host y estoy
> corriendo virtualbox 3.12. Virtualbox no me deja crear máquinas virtuales
> (invitados) con más de 2.5 GB de RAM. Por ejemplo, estoy creando una máquina
> virtual Windows 2008 server enterprise y puedo asignar máximo 2.5Gb de
> memoria RAM lo cual es muy poco para los requerimientos de este sistema
> operativo.
>
> El manual de Virtualbox en línea dice: "...the "Enable PAE/NX"  setting
> determines whether the PAE and NX capabilities of the host CPU will be
> exposed to the virtual machine. PAE stands for "Physical Address Extension".
> Normally, if enabled and supported by the operating system, then even a
> 32-bit x86 CPU can access more than 4 GB of RAM. This is made possible by
> adding another 4 bits to memory addresses, so that with 36 bits, up to 64 GB
> can be addressed. Some operating systems (such as Ubuntu Server) require PAE
> support from the CPU and cannot be run in a virtual machine without it".
>
> Yo he realizado todos los procesos que recomiendan en los foros y en los
> manuales y la situación sigue igual. No quiero instalar sistemas operativos
> de 64 bits porque pienso que aún les faltan drivers, entre otras cosas.
>
> Qué puede estar sucediendo?
>
> Saludos cordiales desde Colombia,

Dream of the Daily Mail
It is the Holy Grail
And then the BBC
Your life would be complete

-Manic Street Preachers, "Royal Correspondent"